SECONDHAND HOUNDS DOES NOT ADOPT OUTSIDE OF MINNESOTA, IOWA, ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN, AND THE DAKOTAS!
- Potential applicant searches adoptable dogs or adoptable cats & critters and fills out an application. Your application only shows that you are truly interested in meeting the animal and it is not binding. If you want to meet the animal, start by filling out the application!
- The foster reviews applications and if a good fit, schedules a “meet and greet”. This meeting could take place at an adoption event, at the SHH office in Eden Prairie, or at a home.
- If the foster and adopter both agree it’s a good fit, then an adoption home visit request will be sent to our team of volunteers and vet/reference checks will be completed by our Adoption Coordinator.
- After the home visit is completed and approved, the adopter sends payment. Also at this time, the adoption contract is sent out to the Executive Director, the Foster, and the Adopter to sign (electronically). All signatures must be completed prior to the adoption being finalized. Our adoption fee includes the cost of the age appropriate spay/neuter surgery, microchip implant, heart worm test, rabies/distemper vaccinations (if old enough), and feLeuk/FIV test. Puppies & kittens must be at least eight weeks old and at least two pounds to be spayed/neutered before adoption. *Adoption fees are non-negotiable*.
- Once payment and adoption contract are received and completed, the new owners will coordinate with the foster pick up their pet!